LivingSims Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:55:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow the Where can I Find rules, or your post will be deleted! Read the rules: here

Home   Forum   Help Search Links Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Cleaning up

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning up  (Read 3012 times)
macthekat
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: August 20, 2008, 07:02:56 pm »

Lets here all about your cleaning up in your download folder or in your stuff ingame.

-----------

I personally just deleted 200 objects ingame - not recolours but objects. I need to target the recolours of my remaining objects then I am done cleaning. Right now my target is to delete at least 350 objects before I start on the deco-objects and I want 500 objects out of that folder - at least. I find that counting the objects I delete is very motivating - almost like having your time taken on this or that task.

So my advise if you are cleaning out stuff is:
- Count the things you are getting rid of
- put on music or a podcast on then you are doing it
- tell people how many objects you got rid of - they will pad you for being good and getting rid of stuff - I am now down to: 11,4 GB = download folder

EDIT - I just delted 200 objects from my seating folder - gosh there is a lot of badly made chairs and beds
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 05:13:07 am by macthekat » Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Chef editor • Photographer • graphic design • Sims 3 • I try to use British spelling
My blog and my Sims site

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

gerbera
Collector

Techie Gal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 05:15:34 am »

Wow, congrats on getting rid off so many files  OK I still haven't found out what is making my gam crash, so I might start with a completely new downloads folder ... I think I wanted to do it anyways when AL comes out, so it is not that bad. I will just keep the things I love the most and would redownload anyways, like Holy Simoly furnitures, All About Style clothes, etc.
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

macthekat
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 05:30:36 am »

that sounds like a good idea then - sometimes it is nice to start over - I just did that with my clothes

127 deleted tables

342 deleted deco objects

Download folder: 11,3 GB now and all in all more then 850 deleted objects
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 09:38:49 am by macthekat » Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Chef editor • Photographer • graphic design • Sims 3 • I try to use British spelling
My blog and my Sims site
deelee4952
Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 03:09:34 pm »

Wow, you are doing a great job getting rid of stuff! That's so hard for me to do - there are a lot of meshes I want out of my game, but I have a hard time just taking the time to do it! Sad

I've decided to start over too because I also had something that was crashing my game, and the thought of going thru all those downloads to find it was just too over whelming for me!!

So my idea now is too just download a few things I know I'm going to use, then I'll go shopping for new downloads as needed. I think this may be fun because it will be like shopping for wallpaper, flooring, and furniture in real life when you start decorating a home.

I plan to keep my downloads at a maximum of 3 gigs and try to have more recolors than new meshes (And I love new meshes)  Grin

~Dee~
jbaygirl0
Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 05:06:42 am »

My game keeps crashing and there is no way i am reinstalling! Got over 8 gigs of downloads, so i have put them all in a separate folder on the desktop and going 100 files at a time, using custom content manager. That program shows me the error files but delphy's download organiser does not. We'll see. i have a lot of badly made things in game they must go Smiley

For those that think - the world is a comedy
For those that feel - the world is a tragedy
silentspring01
Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 08:59:31 pm »

Recently, my game was going incredibly slowly so I decided to delete some of my downloads. I have almost 4GB's worth, all unorganized, so I just deleted a bunch of files at random. I'm probably going to regret this, but I haven't noticed anything missing so far.

I wish that deleting the files in-game didn't take so long! Otherwise, it'd actually be a great way to get rid of things you don't need, since it'd be easier to see them. When I look at the images of the files using Clean Installer, I get a picture of the mesh/recolor but in separate pieces, which often makes it hard to even tell what it is.

One of these days, I have to organize my downloads to make cleaning easier... Thinking
lpvinyl21
Free Lancer

Call me Linda

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 06:11:14 pm »

Ok I am doing taking the plunge and starting over  excited I just installed AL and I have all EP's and SP's now and my game was taking soooo long to load also something was causing the game to crash whenever I went to create a family/buy clothing/change the look of my sim so clearly something to do with body shop since body shop also crash everytime I try to open it plus I found some Maxis furniture that was being overridden by some other CC, in short my game is a mess and I am as much as it pains me to get rid of over 9 GB of CC its just much easier this way.

Writer, photographer
declandabest
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 08:53:59 pm »

props to you guys for clearing out your downloads ! i had mine taken away from me by the nasty freetime patch a while ago, and now my downloads folder is more organized than...something very organized ! Tongue i used to have roughly 22,000 downloads, i dunno how many gigs that is, but now my folder is down to about 2 gigs, and i can definitely see a difference in my game.
Akilaloes
Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 03:46:49 pm »

I used to have 12GB of CC in my game, but then the pc crashed, and I lost everything.
Now that I installed the game again I have a lil more then 3GB (only objects) no hair/clothe/make up w.e.

Now I'm keeping it clean, so I don't have useless stuff on my folder  OK

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30194549@N06/

Check out my new album, with my newest decorations! Thank you *0*
magnoliae
Subscriber

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 02:45:27 pm »

I just went through and deleted a lot of adult female clothing and hair in preparation for AL since that makes up the bulk of my bodyshop content. I had some ugly outfits in there that I don't even remember downloading! I've made a decision that I'm not going to download any new bodyshop content, I download way too much buy mode stuff to have huge collections of both!

As for weeding out all that buy mode content, I'll just randomly go through a specific section, like armchairs or something, and delete everything in that category that I never use, it works pretty well, I definitely am more picky about what stays in my game now because my game runs a lot better on less downloads
 Smiley

Find my creations at my LJ: http://mangnoliae.livejournal.com/   (updated 8-1-09 with moroccan themed rugs)
Find my older stuff at mts2: http://modthesims2.com/member/magnoliae
starrsim
Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 09:26:22 pm »

I trashed my DLs a while ago and have been pretty strict about them now. It takes my game about 20 minutes to load.  excited more play time! excited

I have 3.52 GB of downloads (including zipped items that I haven't added to my game yet) or about 14,200 files. I want to develop a better filing system (right now there are folders for types of downloads such as objects/hair/build mode and then they're subgrouped by artist) and start working on developing more collections, esp for deco objects.

To keep me from becoming a download junkie, I have selected about 7-10 artists that I freely download from, any others I first -test in my game and then decide if I want to hold on to it or not.  Embarrassed

I tend to delete CC if I haven't used it in about 5 game plays. My downloads are a bit larger than I would like at the time since I use a lot of CC for my soap opera, Pahala Shore, but as I don't need the items for the sets I delete them.

My biggest thing right now is going through and deleting hair/clothing meshes that I don't use, or recolors to hair/clothing meshes that I don't have. Since you can't do this during gameplay-except in CAS or bodyshop-this tends to take me longer to do.

I am also trying to be more selective about items in my game and delete those "tacky" CC or recolors (who needs 3 white recolors of the same sofa)

Adalita
Chief Proofreader
Staff

Addicted to simming!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 02:57:27 am »

I dunno what I am up to at the moment!   Embarrassed 

Just did a check 6.84 GB 44643 files ( I was up around 17GB at one stage) the compressoriser is my friend

Addicted to simming!
Living Sims Staffer: Chief Proofreader, Photographer, Writer, Graphic Designer and Builder.  Sims2 and 3 (Sims2 may take 2 hours to load on my PC) (My laptop only has The Sims2 and freetime)
macthekat
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 03:41:44 am »

Right now my computer don't work, but one of our friends should fix it tonight. I kind of plan to flush my download folder and all my hoods - perhaps just save my self sim (the girl in the editorial chair). I am going to go mostly maxis. It totally love extracted maxis objects and stuff like that so I am going to only download maxis match and as little other stuff as I can. I will tough download stuff that look maxis like - like the some of the stuff form All Around the Sims and clutter from Garden of Shadows.

Can anyone help me find more extracted maxis and maxis match? I plan to open a finds for it so please if you know any sites post them there Smiley Thank you for the help

My blog and my Sims site
tellemonstar
Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 12:21:57 am »

I got very organized one day and created separate folders in my downloads folder for everything. This doesn't help much in cleaning out, but it does help when I have something crashing my game, because I know where I've put my most recent downloads. I am considering going through my game and moving all of my sims out then after working out what I really want to keep, deleting everything else. 

freelance writer and proofreader
Marbi
Trial Subscriber

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 03:12:26 am »

I really need to do this too. Dont know how much CC I have but its a lot and no sims, cloths or hair things. I will take a closer look and clean up the folder around christmas when I have some vacationdays. I do have a lot of crap in my folder that needs to be sorted out.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: