LivingSims Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:06:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow the Where can I Find rules, or your post will be deleted! Read the rules: here

Home   Forum   Help Search Links Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

How Do You Organize Your Download Folder

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Do You Organize Your Download Folder  (Read 2705 times)
deelee4952
Reader

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2008, 02:58:18 pm »

I'm going to redo all my downloads, just throw them all out and start over! Well not really throw them out, I always keep backups!!

Why? For one thing something is crashing my game, and another thing is I just went on a 3 day downloading spree (haven't put any of it in game yet), and I want everything organized better.

I feel like I need a fresh start!! I have tried several ways already, and most work OK, but I want to get some ideas for better organization.   

I would really appreciate knowing what works best for you! Maybe it will work for me  Wink

~Dee~
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

macthekat
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 04:53:34 pm »

I organize my download by type - so I have one folder for objects, one for clothes, one for hair and so on + I have a folder called temp where I put new downloads sorted after date until they are tested and I have time to put them into the other folders - properly not the smartest system, but it seem to work most of the time

Chef editor • Photographer • graphic design • Sims 3 • I try to use British spelling
My blog and my Sims site
deelee4952
Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 12:28:14 am »

That's a good system, especially the temp folder! I'm really going to utilize that one this time so I'll have a better handle on what might be a conflict that will crash my game, and get rid of stuff I really don't want.

Do you download whole sets and then delete from them things you know you won't use? That's something I always seem to forget, then I have a bunch of stuff from sets that I know I really don't like and will not use, but I hate deleting in game for fear I'll delete something that makes the objects work. Sometimes I download a whole set just for one object that I like!! But if I had a temp folder I could delete in Clean Installer before they go into the game, right.

Come on now, more ideas needed  Grin

~Dee~
macthekat
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 01:53:54 am »

I normally download full sets if I like more then half or if that is the only positively. I normally create an ingame folder (with simsworkshop's cataloge tool) for each date - that way it is easy to find the new objects and put them into the right ingame folders and delete the stuff I don't need or like. It is not however a foolprof system, but better then what i did before.

I would love folders sorted by creator, but I know I wouldn't be able to keep it up, so I have a few with creators I have lots of stuff from - like I know all of the stuff by "Shino&kcr" @ tsr - really should be re-priced as it all cost 1 § and I really don't like that, but they don't mark their downloads so they are hard to find in your download folder

Chef editor • Photographer • graphic design • Sims 3 • I try to use British spelling
My blog and my Sims site
gerbera
Collector

Techie Gal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 06:12:41 am »

My way: http://forum.themessians.org/index.php?topic=771.0 Smiley

simsartgallery
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 11:54:42 pm »

I create folders for walls, floors, hacks, objects, body shop, food, bedding, defaults, painting meshes, painting recolors, rug meshes, rug recolors, rooves, terrains and skintones and last but not least, NEW FILES.

In my objects folder, I then add a folder for each site. In the site folder I then add folders for each set. I do it the same way for my bodyshop and food folders. Easier for me to delete when I know where to go and find something.

In my NEW FILES folder, I add the new files I've downloaded before adding to the objects folder. That way, if something crashes, easier to pinpoint what file is causing the problem.

As for the rest of the folders, I add the files without folders. Since I recolor tons of paintings, easier to have them all in one folder than in separate folders. Same with rugs.

Walls, floors, beddings and recolors of the paintings and rugs are easier to delete and look through if they are all in one folder.

Green Bottles
Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 06:36:32 am »

I didn't at all to begin with, which meant finding the one object that was messing up my game was...fun.

Now I do it by what it is; Buy, Build, Clothing, Hair, Hacks, Genetics, etc.

trial staff: proofreader;writer
Olivier
Inactive Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 08:32:00 am »

I organize my downloads folder on the website where I downloaded it, so TSR, sims-in-paris, MTS2 etc. So when sites go offline I know which downloads in my game are from then, that happenend with the models from glancemodels that I had.
Dante
Subscriber

Call me Lefteris

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 06:08:39 am »

Well, I'm using the old good way. A subfolder for each site. Smiley

vickis75
Trial Subscriber

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 07:41:23 am »

I have subfolders for hair, clothes (subfolders there for female and male and then for age and so on), hacks, genetics and furniture and so on. In them I have subfolders for each site and then subfolders for creator and set. Loads of subfolders, but easy to find stuff.  Grin

Nicola
New Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 08:15:16 pm »

I have 170 folders in my Downloads folder arranged the exact same way they are in-game for example ...
Body Shop - Clothing - Female - Adult - Everyday - Outfits
Body Shop - Clothing - Female - Adult - Sleepwear
Buy Mode - Comfort - Beds
Buy Mode - Decorative - Rugs
Buy Mode - Hobbies - Knowledge
Buy Mode - Plumbing - Showers and Tubs

etc.
so when I download, I have to split the items into their correct category. I also save a picture with nearly every item which means I can delete easily and identify objects fairly quickly. It is more time consuming but works out better organisation wise for me! The windows search function helps in identifying sets very easily (so they don't have to be in the one folder).

I also have a Temp folder that I use to test things in-game. Delphys Organiser and CleanInstaller help me out loads!
I also keep an excel spreadsheet with dates of when I last visited a site and what I last downloaded.  OK

Treowe
Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 01:50:51 pm »

This thread is great, I really have to weed out some stuff.  Is there any problem simply deleting from 'in game', that would seem the easiest way to get rid of stuff I've never used?

"I'm not happy until you're not happy"
lkevelvet
Staff

It's LkeVelvet - Like Velvet ;)

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 01:09:47 pm »

I too have folders, sub-folders and organize those by creators etc.,

Treowe, deleting from in-game is fine if you don't have a lot of cc or if you know exactly where to find your items.  But when you have tons and tons of cc it can get a little time consuming hunting for stuff or at least that's the experience I've had in the past.  I mostly stick with cc like hair, makeup and clothes now because furniture, lots and tons of clutter for some reason unknown to me has a tendency to make my computer really slow.    Also it's easier for me to purge my files often.  For instance if I see cc that I realllly want then I'll make room for it by deleting those items that I don't use often.  I also run Sims2pack Installer frequently to make sure that I don't have duplicate files. Wink

Proofreader, Writer, Photographer, Advertisement (as needed)  

I use American spelling, grammar and language conventions.
Treowe
Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 10:55:45 am »

I've got almost 7 gig of cc, so recently I've started making collection files ,  which means going through everything, one catagory at a time. I've always been hesitant to delete because I was afraid the mesh might be needed for something else, that I wanted to keep. I don't know if that would be the case , though.

"I'm not happy until you're not happy"
lkevelvet
Staff

It's LkeVelvet - Like Velvet ;)

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 05:47:49 pm »

I know what you mean about the mesh scare. I found myself hoarding files for fear of deleting the mesh.  But now that I know where/who created what mesh, I don't feel so bad about hitting the delete button because I can go to the site and download it again.

Proofreader, Writer, Photographer, Advertisement (as needed)  

I use American spelling, grammar and language conventions.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: