LivingSims Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:43:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow the Where can I Find rules, or your post will be deleted! Read the rules: here

Home   Forum   Help Search Links Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Your decorating/building tips

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your decorating/building tips  (Read 3311 times)
Marbi
Trial Subscriber

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 01:30:45 am »

Sorry, but Im not so good at that but I will try.  Embarrassed
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged
sabriena
New Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 08:51:06 am »

I think accent walls are a must in most rooms. Whether they are patterned wallpapers or just solid colors it makes a room look fuller and more thought out.
MissCurious
Trial Subscriber

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 10:14:59 am »

A lot of outdoor (stone) walls and floors look great inside a house, and you can also combinate them with most other (indoor) walls. The result can be very unexpected and nice!

mamet
New Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2009, 08:31:53 am »

I try and find a center piece, like a sofa or maybe a statue. Then I base my room around it. Sometimes its hard, but then I just undo and choose something else (: -Jellytots

Hey, guys. I don't have a account, so I used this one, which I found the details on bugmenot.com. I love that site.

-Jellytots on sims99.com forum.
-(If you use this account, add your name!)
-(same)
-(same)
kayleigh83
New Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2009, 10:03:55 pm »

Some people are truly amazing and come up with very original and realistic floor plans and home exteriors on their own - I'm not one of them.  Grin

So I get a little help from a few sources - floor plan websites like globalfloorplans.com and architecturaldesigns.com, as well as MLS listings (real estate listings which usually include an exterior shot and some interior shots, if not actual floorplans) to get ideas for both floorplans that are realistic and have good flow, and how to make the 'curb appeal' better. Smiley

For interiors I like sites like Better Homes and Gardens and other design focused websites. Smiley I'd buy magazines more often but hey, internet is cheaper! Another good idea is to look at home decor companies websites, like IKEA. They often have pictures on their websites of rooms set up.
motherof70
trial staffer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 03:50:53 pm »

One thing that can instantly give your lot a bit of depth or realism is a little terrain paint in the right places.  It can be tricky and easily overdone, I avoided terrain paint for a long time as I found it a bit awkward.  A tip I read at MTS suggested putting a little soil paint at the base of exterior walls all the way round the building, the effect is quite dramatic considering how little is done.  That's really how I started using terrain paint, it really does create a more natural look.  It's great for making a pond look like a pond, without the need for loads of stones and plants, and ideal for curved pathways.  If you can get matching floor tiles and terrain paint then that can take some of the work out of it.  I'm lucky enough to have a graphics pen and have found that a lot easier to use when applying terrain paint.  I wish I had some pictures to show what I mean but I've only just started getting into taking pictures from the game and don't have any to illustrate my point.  Just go to it slowly with little bits at a time, undoing mistakes as you go and being careful not to over do it-less is more.

Sims 2 Photographer
arlet
Trial Subscriber

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2009, 06:05:45 am »

Think about the character who is going to live there: it's not the same a family with lots of children or a single. Hobbies are a good point too, they focus the attention, and when you are fond on a hobbie, it reflects in your house. An artist will have lots of paints, or sculptures, or music... and a technician would like a clean house and its tools at hand.

You can trust on bad people, they never change.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: