LivingSims Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:53:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow the Where can I Find rules, or your post will be deleted! Read the rules: here

Home   Forum   Help Search Links Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Cleaning up

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning up  (Read 3005 times)
Lilymayrose
Trial Subscriber

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2009, 08:23:52 am »

I've just ditched my entire game folder and generated a new one. I was sick of the compulively downloaded cc that I never used/didn't even like. So I'm starting afresh with the stuff that I genuinely do like and already have nearly 2000 downloads... I just can't seem to win.
Report Spam   Report to moderator   Logged

I'm a puddlejumper.....so stand clear or get wet.

alexpilgrim
Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2009, 12:16:47 pm »

Well, my game started crashing again, of course my download folder is 5,40 GB and has 40150 files in it...  Embarrassed  I suppose there is a limit somewhere, no?

Believe it or not I've just been re-organizing and cleaning all my folders, all my downloads are organized either by creator or letters and I make a collection for each folder. I got rid of a lot of large objects, specially beds that are not really playable, armoires, unconfortable looking sofas and things like that, but apparently I still need to get rid of more... and I just ditched 200 MB from my WallSims folder alone (well, yes, they have some really beautiful stuff like the Eames chairs and lovely little clutter items but a lot of stuff that wasn't worth keeping), I delete things in-game, maybe I'm doing it the difficult way but it's the only way I know to see what I'm doing...
macthekat
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2009, 04:11:20 pm »

Than you delete ingame make sure you start by deleting the recolours... otherwise they will lie around in your folder after you have deleted the mesh...

Are you sure you don't just got a bad file? it happens sometimes... When does it crash?

Chef editor • Photographer • graphic design • Sims 3 • I try to use British spelling
My blog and my Sims site
Lilymayrose
Trial Subscriber

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2009, 05:10:28 pm »

I delete things in-game, maybe I'm doing it the difficult way but it's the only way I know to see what I'm doing...

You end up with all sorts of random stuff left over if you do it that way. I tend to wander through the catalogues, writing down what I want to delete, then I quit the game and delete everything listed, directly from my downloads folder - which means I can ferret out the recolours as well, which saves time when the game loads as it isn't reading a load of orphaned files.

alexpilgrim
Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2009, 12:01:49 am »

Well, I do delete the recolors first with the design tool, but you're right that one has to be careful not to have orphaned files and it's a tedious process... the reason I do it in-game is to see the objects (sometimes from a whole big set I only keep a chair and a lamp, for instance) but of course after I still must double-check my folders, I do write things down as I go to make sure I don't have random orphaned stuff around. You can't imagine also how many duplicate files one finds doing this!

As for crashing, it happens whenever I try to open a collection file or sometimes open a section of the build or buy catalog... I'm pretty sure it's because of the amount of stuff I have, though I'm also checking in case it's a bad file, I took the folders out and am replacing them little by little. I remember when I use to play the mac version of the game there was a (ridiculous) file limit of maybe 10000, and going over that crashed the game in the same way. Now I have a new mac with disk partition and windows installed, so I play the PC version of the game, but I imagine there is a limit to the amount of stuff the program can handle, even if it's higher... my guess is that it's around 40000 (maybe 50000 including Saved Sims) or 5 GB.
Lilymayrose
Trial Subscriber

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2009, 08:08:39 am »

I think my head would implode if I had more than 5000 downloads. I just can't see the wood for the trees as it is, and I currently only have about 3000. I use collections to find what I need (now, though I never used to), and everytime I load my game, I come acroos stuff that I added in a fit of the 'must haves', only to discover that some of it is truly hideous. I think that for every 300 files I add - I delete maybe 100 of them after I've had a look.

Cesse
Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2009, 04:57:40 am »

Well, 2 weeks ago i deleted everything! Because there was some sort of glitch in my, and i wasn't sure what download it was coming from, and i know it was from a download, it wasn't just a game glitch anyhow, it was getting close to TS3, so i may as well, and then i just did it.

Congratulations Mac of cleaning up your folder darls! Hig hug

"Friends are like balloons, if you let them go you can't get them back."
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: